Healthy Recipe: Sugar Free Whole Grain Pancakes New Year's Brunch Doesn't Have To Derail Your Healthy Diet!
Brunch, whether it’s on New Year’s Day or any other time of year, doesn’t have to be unhealthy. Trouble is, your typical restaurant brunch can be a dietary minefield: orange juice? Pure sugar. Pancakes? Filler with no fiber. Serving size? Way too big; a typical restaurant portion is two, three, sometimes four serving sizes.
Here’s a healthy, quick, easy, delicious alternative – with no flour, sugar or gluten, but plenty of fiber, vitamins and protein.
Healthy Recipe: Sugar Free Whole Grain Pancakes (serves 2)
- 1/2 cup uncooked whole grains (e.g. rolled oats, millet or quinoa)
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup raw nuts (I used almonds, cashews and brazil nuts)
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp each flax seeds and chia seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Grind grains and nuts in a coffee grinder or food processor
- Throw everything into a food processor or blender and puree until smooth
- Fry pancake-sized spoonfuls in coconut oil or butter until set and browned on both sides
- Serve and enjoy with toppings of your choice