Brunch, whether it’s on New Year’s Day or any other time of year, doesn’t have to be unhealthy. Trouble is, your typical restaurant brunch can be a dietary minefield: orange juice? Pure sugar. Pancakes? Filler with no fiber. Serving size? Way too big; a typical restaurant portion is two, three, sometimes four serving sizes.
Here’s a healthy, quick, easy, delicious alternative – with no flour, sugar or gluten, but plenty of fiber, vitamins and protein.
Healthy Recipe: Sugar Free Whole Grain Pancakes (serves 2)
- 1/2 cup uncooked whole grains (e.g. rolled oats, millet or quinoa)
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup raw nuts (I used almonds, cashews and brazil nuts)
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp each flax seeds and chia seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Grind grains and nuts in a coffee grinder or food processor
- Throw everything into a food processor or blender and puree until smooth
- Fry pancake-sized spoonfuls in coconut oil or butter until set and browned on both sides
- Serve and enjoy with toppings of your choice